[mythtv-users] Mythtranscode running on both FE/BE and FE only box !

Steven Sartorius ssartor at bellatlantic.net
Thu Sep 6 00:21:11 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have two Myth boxes -- one is a fast dual core FE/BE machine and
the other is an old, repurposed Shuttle FE only.  The FE/BE box is
the master backend where all recording takes places and the mysql
database lives.  The FE box mounts the recordings directory (which is
physically on the FE/BE) via NFS.  Two weeks ago I upgraded both
boxes to 20.2 (via svn update on the 20-fixes trunk) and noticed that
some of my mythtranscode jobs were taking a lot longer to run than
they used to.  After a little poking around I stumbled on the reason
-- some of the transcoding jobs are being run on the (slow) FE only
machine.  This is actually pretty cool -- it looks as if myth is
assigning the transcoding to whichever machine on the network is
least busy (not sure how that's determined).  If I had two machines
of equivalent speed I wouldn't care but in my case I'd like all the
transcoding to happen on the fast FE/BE box.  Anybody know of a way
to force this behavior?  Otherwise I'm at a bit of a loss...

thanks,

Steve