[mythtv-users] XFS: options when running mkfs.xfs

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Wed Sep 5 20:44:16 UTC 2007

On Wed September 5 2007 12:45:20 pm Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Completely agree.
>
> > Third, I think that fragmentation is a complete non-issue for MythTV
> > users. Even a fragmented disk will perform faster than the video stream.
>
> I disagree with this one, though (with empirical proof to back up my
> opinion).  See
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/278818#278818 , for
> what is (if I do say so myself) a pretty in-depth discussion on file
> system fragmentation with Myth which also explains why we get
> fragmentation (no file system will prevent it with Myth usage) and
> explains how Storage Groups in 0.21 will allow users to prevent it.

I'm curious: what filesystem (ext2, etc) were you running for this test?

I would be very surprised if you were seeing that sort of behavior with XFS,
especially given the usage data you're showing.

I run XFS on my backend, which records both HD and SD stuff.  It is almost
always running almost completely full.  I've never defragged since I put it
in, and never had the problems you described, either.

-- John