[mythtv-users] tv guide line-up free

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Wed Sep 5 20:19:04 UTC 2007

On Sep 5, 2007, at 12:29 PM, Robert Current wrote:
> That's exactly why no one will talk about stuff here.  This FUD.
> Using another data source will not prevent MythTV from being able to
> schedule certain types of recordings.

Well, good.  I'd gotten the distinct impression that these TitanTV
web schedules were of the "record on X channel at X time" variety,
not ones that Myth could move around at will.

It's possible to correct misconceptions without abusing people, you
know. ;)

>> Or because TitanTV said, "No."
>
> I have a hard time believing this, especially since so many other PVR
> groups use it.

My guess is they didn't ask.  "It's easier to ask forgiveness than
permission" and all that...  If you have information that says
otherwise, then that's excellent.

> Simple fact is, other PVR groups have multiple solutions now, MythTV
> doesn't.

Sure it does.  You can use EIT, SD, or anything that works with
XMLTV.  The devs have said repeatedly that they're not going to
prevent anyone from doing those things.

Where the conversation breaks down is when people think they're
entitled to ask other people to develop alternatives FOR them, I
think.  In open source projects people who are content with the
status quo are unlikely to want to work for free to provide something
else.

> The lack of working EIT data myth Schedules Direct is
> pushing is just that, a myth, FUD…

The fact that it happens to work where you live does NOT mean it
works everywhere.  Other people have posted to say they don't even
get a full day worth of data from EIT.  Is that FUD, even though it's
their experience?  Is your experience somehow the only valid one?

> But if you try to talk anything but Schedules Direct here, it will
> turn into a Schedules Direct conversation instantly...

Well, that's what most people are using, after all.

> This conversation ended it's productivity the minute Schedules Direct
> came up.  I've been in discussions since the mid-1990's on the
> internet, and this is the most censored group (mailing list, forum,
> even news-group) I've ever seen.

For it to be censorship, they'd have to be preventing you from
posting.  Obviously they haven't.  People are debating you.  That's
not the same as censorship, no matter how much you wish everyone
would just shut up and agree with you.