[mythtv-users] yum update errors - Fedora 7 and atrpms

Geoff B geoffbon at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 13:12:14 UTC 2007

On 9/4/07, Mike LaPlante wrote:
> The past 3 or 4 times I've updated kernels I've run into this. Axel get
> asked about this all the time on the atrpms list. I've just learned to
> live with it. Basically, before upgrading to a new kernel, I remove all
> kmdl packages for the current one, then do a full system upgrade
> including the new kernel.
>
> Upon reboot X fails to start because nvidia is missing in this new
> kernel. So I get to a console and re-install the nvidia, ivtv, ieee1394,
> and lirc modules (those are the kmdl packages I have installed). Then
> one more reboot and everything is good.
>
> The downside to this (other than a two reboot upgrade) is that my
> 'backup' kernel no longer has the modules I need, so if the updated
> kernel doesn't work.... things can get fun.

I'm not a Linux expert by any means, let alone a Yum guru... but this
used to happen to me too - and after installing the yum-kernel-module
plugin, I don't get this any more.  The last update was as simple as
yum update kernel, reboot, yum update.  The first update got all the
needed kernel modules for nvidia, alsa, fuse and ivtv, along with the
new kernel.
Cheers,
Geoff