[mythtv-users] Slow MySQL query after delete

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Sep 5 01:54:11 UTC 2007

On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 06:03:40PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Just like they can be shafted by the misbehavior of ffmpeg's libav*
> libraries, right?  But, no one has complained about the fact that MythTV
> doesn't use the system ffmpeg libs, but instead uses its own customized
> "embedded" version of those libs.  Both are complex creatures that can
> be configured in such a way that they work well in a MythTV application
> or configured in such a way that they won't work that application.  By
> embedding the support into MythTV, the users don't have to worry about
> the configuration.

Wouldn't it be pretty to think so?

Alas, both MySQL's interface and it's internal behaviour are between 2
and 2 orders of magnitude more complicated than those of ffmpeg;
there's very rarely *reason* to want to twiddle with ffmpeg's
internals, while that definitely not the case with the DBMS.

I too would like to see them abstract it enough that I could put it
overtop a *real* DBMS, but I've given up thinking it will happen; just
phrasing it that way pisses Isaac off*.

Cheers,
-- jra
*It probably doesn't, so I'll put a disclaimer here so that saying it
doesn't itself piss him off.  :-)