[mythtv-users] Channel Icons and live TV browser display questions

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Sep 4 21:59:09 UTC 2007

On 09/04/2007 04:06 PM, Craig Huff wrote:
> When I'm watching live TV and browse to see what else is on, I get a transparent information bar at the bottom of the screen with a blurb about the current show on the next channel browsed.  To the left is the call sign, such as WTTW.  I have been trying to find a way to get the channel number displayed without success.  Is there a way to do this?
>
> I also looked into what the story was with channel icons once I had dealt with updating and transitioning to the Schedules Direct program information feed.  I was on a MythTV frontend when I ran the perl script (mkiconinfo.pl?) and loaded the results with a mythfilldatabase command per the wiki and now the left-hand end of the browse bar shows the call sign and the icon (a little low-res, but discernable).  Oddly, the icons don't show up when I go to the FE/BE system and try to browse live TV.  I tried repeating the perl script and mythfilldatabase commands on the FE/BE, but nothing improved on the FE/BE, while the icons are still shown in the FE-Only system.  What gives?  Do I need to undo the icons and re-do the process on the FE/BE for both systems to show icons?

Channel icons must exist on the local filesystem of the frontend at the
exact same location (i.e. so you should get them working on one system
and then share them to the same location on all frontends using NFS/CIFS
or just make local copies at the same location on each frontend).  The
default location is ~mythtv/.mythtv/channels.

> While I'm on the subject, the browse bar on my screens is nowhere near as nice as the one I see in the User_Manual:Watch_TV screen shots.  Which OSD is that?  FWIW, I believe I'm using Retro, at the moment.

Looks like isthmus OSD to me, though it may be the updated version,
Retro-OSD.  If you switch to that one and can verify it's the same, feel
free to update the wiki to say so.  :)  (Looks like isthmus to me
because the fonts look like FreeSans.  Retro-OSD looks similar but uses
Vera Sans.)

Mike