[mythtv-users] Slow MySQL query after delete

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Sep 4 21:03:04 UTC 2007

On Sep 4, 2007, at 1:34 PM, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
> ...e.g., the rather unfortunate reactions when
> someone a few months ago was trying to allow migration to Postgres,
> which -doesn't- seem to require the daily table-fixing cargo cult
> ritual to stay operational and performant, and doesn't seem to get
> the same sorts of snickers from database people that MySQL does.]

I dunno.  Different isn't necessarily better.  I run the repair/
optimize script weekly and at each reboot, on my box, and it works
fine.  I've never seen it find a problem, even after an unclean
shutdown, but I run it just to play it safe.  IMHO often the repair/
optimize script is a solution looking for a problem.  It's like when
tech support people tell you to unplug a problematic device and plug
it back in.  Most of the time it doesn't help, but it does just often
enough that it's the first thing people try.

It's been a long time since I ran a Postgres database, but I recall
having to run a 'vacuum' script on it on a regular basis to keep it
running properly.   So, probably six of one, half a dozen of the
other.  I can run VACUUM, or I can run OPTIMIZE TABLE.  I don't
really care which it is.

One thing I've noticed about relational database people is they all
develop a religious fervor for their own favorite database, and
consider using any other to be the most horrible form of heresy.  I
take all claims that one database engine is superior to another with
a big grain of salt. ;)