[mythtv-users] firewire and time warner cable

Inor Kuo inorkuo at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 4 01:23:00 UTC 2007

>From: "Bob Sully" <rcs at malibyte.net>
>To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
>CC: "Inor Kuo" <inorkuo at hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] firewire and time warner cable
>Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 09:43:13 -0700 (PDT)
>

> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 15
> > Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 22:48:19 -0400
> > From: "Inor Kuo" <inorkuo at hotmail.com>
> > Subject: [mythtv-users] firewire and time warner cable
> > To: <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> >
> > I've been trying to get a firewire enabled box from time warner here in
> > Greensboro.  I had a SA8300 which had firewire ports but as far as I
>could
> > tell, they did not work correctly.  I went to the time warner office and
> > picked up a SA4250HDC which I hoped would do better with myth.  When I
>got
> > it home, I hooked it up, and I was able to record via firewire using
> > test-mpeg2 and also in myth.  At this point I was not receiving all of
>the
> > channels I am supposed to get on the cable box so I called twc and the
>csr
> > had me do the whole reboot process and she sent the box a signal.  After
> > this I was able to receive all of the channels I am supposed to get but
> > the
> > firewire recording no longer works.  I keep getting 0 byte recordings
>with
> > test-mpeg2 now.  Before the box was activated I was getting the same
> > channels I get via qam.  I am guessing that after the box was activated
>by
> > twc, the firewire outputs became encrypted.  Does anyone else have any
> > experience with firewire and twc?
> >

>Yeah.  They cut us off completely in January out here in the L.A. area.  I
>can now only use the firewire port to change the channel on the STB.
>There was a discussion about this recently, check out
>www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users and search using "firewire"
>and "time warner".

I actually did read that thread and was hoping that wasn't the case in
greensboro, nc.  i think i've read everything there is on the list with the
word firewire or 1394 in it, and most everything on the net with google
using the words firewire+mythtv or firewire+time warner etc, not that i
understand it all.

so tonight i thought i would give it another shot.  i hooked up the
sa4250hdc again, and it didn't work as i expected.  then i decided to delete
all of my tuners and add them, and lo and behold, firewire started working
again.  i was able to tune all of the hd channels that i get over qam and a
few that i can only get through the cable box such as mojo, tnt, hdnet, and
inhd.

i had high hopes for espnhd this time, but when i tried tuning to the
channel, i got the same "Warning, no input...".  i changed back to a
different channel on the cable box and all the other channels still
worked...just not espn.  so i exited live tv and went back in and tuned to
espnhd right off the bat and i saw just a second or two of the football game
and then it froze.  after the freeze, i haven't been able to get firewire on
any channel.  after the wife finishes watching her shows i'll try deleting
all of the tuners and adding them back again to see what i can see.  seems
like i am able to get all of the hd channels minus espn via firewire as of
now, but it is very touchy.  i'll report back when i can test it again.