[mythtv-users] Desktop Logout when exiting MythFrontend

Remco Treffkorn remco at rvt.com
Mon Sep 3 17:44:23 UTC 2007

On Monday 03 September 2007, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 09/03/2007 12:40 PM, Remco Treffkorn wrote:

> >> Change the script you're using to start your X session or whatever
> >> (~/.Xsession or ~/.xinitrc or ...) and that's also starting mythfrontend
> >> so that it waits on the window manager, not on mythfrontend.  The
> >> behavior isn't caused by Myth or by any Myth settings.  It's just that X
> >> is being told to run until mythfrontend finishes.
> >
> > That's certainly one thing that can cause it, but he said it was fine
> > before the upgrade. Notice that he mentions the KDE desktop.
> >
> > Maybe he sees what I am seeing: Mythfrontend crashes the X server on
> > termination. This is with the proprietary nvidia driver from Atrpms.
> >
> > Oh, and the xsession is a standard kdm login session. I start the fe
> > after login by clicking on an icon ;-)
>
> Well, I've heard that FC7 is using an unpatched QT 3.3.8, which has a
> known bug that causes Myth applications to segfault upon exit.  If KDE
> doesn't handle a client's segfault appropriately, then you'll have to
> either patch QT or downgrade QT to 3.3.7.
>
> Again, if this is the problem, the behavior isn't caused by Myth or by
> any Myth settings.  Instead, it's caused by a bug in QT (that causes the
> segfault), and, IMHO, a bug in KDE (that causes KDE to crash when a
> client--perhaps only a client started with the auto "startup"
> code--crashes).
>
> In other words, there is no Myth setting that determines what happens to
> X when Myth terminates and there is no code in MythTV to terminate X.
> So, please move along.  There's nothing to see in the Myth settings.
> Try looking at X/X configuration/desktop environment/DE configuration... :)
>
> Mike

All my fe's are on F7. None of the Myth apps segfault. I don't know where you
heard what you heard, but you did not hear it from me.

I never said the fe was segfaulting, and it does not. KDE does not care if an
app was stopped by a SIGINT, SIGTERM, SIGSEGV, ...

The KDE autologin function does not figure into it. I explicitly said I
started the fe after login by clicking an icon.

I agree with you, that the observed behavior has nothing to do with myth.
That is why I mentioned that it's happening on the proprietary nvidia driver.
None of my other fe's has that problem. I have had similar experiences with
the nvidia drivers before.

Cheers,
Remco

--