[mythtv-users] I don't want to use the frontend program (I don't think?)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Sep 2 12:15:44 UTC 2007

On 09/02/2007 12:58 AM, Craig Van Tassle wrote:

> On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 18:47:25 -1000 Nick Gray <nagray at hawaii.rr.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I want to record programs on my workstation and watch them using
>> just vlc or mplayer. Is there a way to keep the front end from
>> taking over my entire screen when I start it up or a good way of
>> using just a player in sync with the backend
>
> mythfrontend --geometry WxH
>
> That will start up the front end with out takeing over your entire
> screen.

--geometry and other overrides ("-O" arguments) should only be used for
"once time" differences.  If you choose to run your mythfrontend at some
size other than full screen, go into the Appearance settings and change
the default screen size to the desired size.

> Why do you want to use vlc or mplayer to watch the video? I prefer
> the abilities of the front end over mplyer or vlc.

I'm sure it's because Nick enjoys watching commercials (rather than
skipping them), enjoys watching at 1x (instead of using timestretch),
and enjoys "random" seeking (where a 15 second seek forward may result
in a 5 second seek backward or a 30 second seek forward).  (There are
probably a lot of other things that MythTV's Internal player does better
than MPlayer/VLC, but those are just the ones I can think of off the top
of my head.)

Mike