[mythtv-users] Question regarding PVR-150

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Sep 1 16:53:12 UTC 2007

On 09/01/2007 03:43 AM, Ian Forde wrote:
> Over the last 2 weeks, I have migrated both of my mythbackends from FC5
> (x86-64) to Centos-5 (x86-64), patched them, upped my svn trunk revision
> on them, and did the DD->SD conversion successfully.  So now I'm just
> ironing out the bugs...
>
> While I've gotten most of them, one in particular is really annoying.
> I'm getting the following error in my backend log:
>
> 2007-08-25 21:00:03.495 MPEGRec(/dev/video0) Warning: Audio sample rate
> 32000 Hz
>                         is not supported by ivtv driver, using 48000 Hz
> instead.
>
> And recordings coming from the card are getting "chipmunked".  It's not
> too hard to figure out why... So taking a cue from the list archives, I
> edited the db settings to make it say 48000 instead of 32000.

The archives were wrong, then.  (But, thank you for doing the research
before posting. :)

The proper way to change recording parameters is to go into the
recording profile settings to change the audio sample rate there.  I
recommend you do so now (to ensure the profile is properly configured).

For future benefit, regardless of what you find in the archives, direct
DB editing is almost never the right approach (generally, only when
helping a dev do some test before a better approach is implemented or
when doing "unsupported" things--in which case, calling it the "right"
approach is arguable).  I for one would never "yell" at someone for not
doing their research if they were to post a question like, "I found
<whatever> in the archives saying to edit the DB directly.  Is there a
better solution?"

>   That
> stopped the error, but not the chipmunking.  (I know that I should
> probably ask this on the ivtv list, but since its myth giving the error,
> I figured I'd ask here first...)

You'll also need to configure your ALSA appropriately to do rate
conversion for you.  See
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Digital_Sound#Setting_up_ALSA.27s_.asoundrc.2C_Properly

HTH,
Mike