[mythtv-users] Cox Communications has turned off Firewire output

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Sat Sep 1 05:45:14 UTC 2007

Tom Greer wrote:
> On 8/28/07, Bob Sully <rcs at malibyte.net> wrote:
>>
>> Well, I'm glad you have made progress with Cox.  @#$%^&! Time Warner
>> Cable
>> out here in Los Angeles cut off Firewire back in January.  It seems that
>> they're using the same coders.  :-(
>>
>> Anyway, I have two tuner cards in my Myth box but would love to have
>> Firewire back - even if all I get is the same unencrypted channels I get
>> on the raw cable (which is what I got before).  It'd be nice to get all
>> the HD channels I pay for, though.  Were you getting those with Cox
>> before
>> they cut you off?
>>
>> Bob
>

> I was receiving everything except premium and pay-per-view.  In other
> words,
> I was getting all of the analog cable channels, all of the digital cable
> channels and all of the HD channels (including local OTA channels plus
> TNT,
> Mojo, Discovery, etc).
>
> If Time Warner is not providing you with a set-top box that provide
> IEEE1394
> compliant firewire output, then I would find out which executive is
> responsible for regulatory compliance and contact them in writing to
> complain.  The FCC will direct you to also seek relief from the local
> government organization who licenses them.  Apparently, they are
> responsible
> to ensure compliance with FCC regulations.  So LA must have a group who
> selects, approves and oversees cable provider(s).  Complain to them and
> the
> FCC at the same time and copy both on the correspondence to the other.
>
> After getting the party-line from the local customer support supervisor
> that
> stated clearly that firewire output had been intentionally disabled, and
> then writing calmly and professionally to their regulatoy compliance
> executives and managers, Cox has been very quick to agree that they have
> an
> obligation to provide firewire output on the set-top boxes.
>
> In my last home, I had Time Warner as my Cable TV and Internet provider.
> can tell you that Cox Communications is worlds better.  They have always
> been easy to contact, responsive and professional.
>
> Tom

Tom and Jay:

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  I have a DCT-6200; the Firewire port
was useful as an extra tuner for the unencrypted channels only (but it was
better than nothing).  Then they cut it off entirely; now I can only use
the 1394 port to change the channel on the STB to record the s-video
output  :-(

I will do as you both have suggested, and start making some noise (will
give Mr. Snider a heads-up and start finding out about who regulated (ha!)
cable providers here in Ventura County) once I get the time after getting
Myth updated.

Too bad we don't have Cox here; it's either Time Warner Cable or the
satellite services (which Myth can't grab HD from).  It would be nice to
be able to record all of the HD channels that I pay for.

Bob