[mythtv-users] Standard analog cable with HDTV channels ( what carddo I get ? )

Greg Arena gma at gmadigitaldesign.com
Wed Oct 31 16:52:28 UTC 2007

I've been using the pcHDTV 5500 successfully with Comcast in the
Philadelphia area. It pulls in the unencrypted HDTV channels fine
here, and does a good job with the analog cable channels. You can
also tune other digital, standard definition channels with it as
long as they're not encrypted. Most recent distributions ship
with the drivers pre-compiled for it (e.g. MythDora 4.0) - I've
never had to touch the disc that came with it or download
anything from their web site.

Note, though, that it doesn't support on-board MPEG encoding for
the standard definition channels like some other boards. This
means the CPU has to encode the raw data from the card into MPEG
format. It's not too big of a deal for the newer Intel and AMD
processors (e.g. my Pentium D has no problem with it), but it may
cause a problem if you're using an older processor like a Pentium
3.

Check out this link on the MythTV web site for more info about
tuner cards (scroll down a little ways to get to the section
"Video Capture Device"):

http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-3.html

  _____