[mythtv-users] how to set up xorg.conf for overscan

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 19:24:12 UTC 2007

On 10/28/07, Eyal Lebedinsky <eyal at eyal.emu.id.au> wrote:

> Michael T. Dean wrote:
> > On 10/28/2007 05:47 AM, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
> >> BTW, by now I accepted that I was duped by LG, and got over it (not
> that I
> >> do not mention that they lied when the subject comes up...). I will me
> much
> >> more careful when I buy my next digital TV. This episode still amazes
> me in
> >> how little one can trust what vendors say, even when they do it in big
> >> letters all over the shop, the device and the instruction manual.
> >
> > If you wanted a computer monitor (i.e. something that displays all
> > pixels with no overscan), you should have bought a computer monitor.
> > TV's, however, have overscan.  So, it sounds like you were duped by the
> > guy who sold you the TV (or by your own assumptions), not by LG.
>
> So you say that it is unreasonable to expect a 52" digital TV to show all
> the image that it was given (digitally)? OK, so who sells 52" computer
> monitors :-)
>
> > Mike

Yes it is unreasonable to expect a TELEVISION to act like a MONITOR.  All
TV's have overscan.  That is not a design flaw.  There is no deception by
the manufacturer (LG).  If they didn't design the TV with overscan there
would be a ton of "normal consumers"  complaining when they got their new TV
home.

If you wanted a monitor you should have bought a monitor.  I have a 47 inch
Westinghouse LCD monitor.  It displays all HD inputs (HDMI, DVI, VGA,
component) with no overscan.  But of coarse I knew that before I bought it.

My suggestion is return your new TV and do some research next time before
you spend money.