[mythtv-users] How to release an encoder

Scott Minneman sminneman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 17:35:43 UTC 2007

I see the same problem, but from a completely different cause.

I have my HD-capable frontend remote from the backend that records HD
programming (OTA, with pcHDTV 5500).  When watching live HDTV, it
works fine as long as I leave the frontend on one HD channel.  When I
change channels though, or even open the guide, the frontend freezes.
Completely.  Even ssh connections freeze.  I have to power-cycle the
box.

When I power-cycle the frontend, the remote backend never realizes
that the live TV stream is no longer being watched, and never releases
the tuner.  I have to /sbin/service mythbackend restart in order to
use that tuner again.

Any ideas on how I can at least release the tuner without restarting
the backend?