[mythtv-users] Good low profile AM2 CPU cooler

Brent Norris brent at brentnorris.net
Tue Oct 30 17:00:36 UTC 2007

I have an Athlon X2 4400 in one of my frontends and it is inside a low
profile aluminum case.  It stays cool, but the stock AMD cooler that
came with the chip puts the fan right under the top of the case.

This of course means that the fan spins up to crazy speed because it
isn't moving as much air.  In the previous steel case that I had, I
actually cut out a grill about the fan which allowed it to move air and
brought the speed back down to normal.

Does anyone know of a good Cooler that is either shorter (to allow more
air between it and the case) or has the fan blowing sideways?  Ideally,
I think I could maybe go with a fanless heat sink, but I am still a
little scared to do that.

Any thoughts?

Brent