[mythtv-users] Single vs. Dual Core

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Oct 30 16:57:45 UTC 2007

On Oct 30, 2007, at 8:31 AM, Brian Long wrote:

> On 10/30/07, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> My advice is to get a 65nm Brisbane X2 processor and stay as far away
>> from the slower, hotter and more hungry Celeron or any Pentium D
>> processor.
>
> Agreed.  If a Core 2 Duo is not available in your price range, the
> Athlon 64 x2 is the way to go.

Just as an aside, the power savings going from two single-core CPUs
to one dual-core can be rather impressive.  At work I run a computing
cluster on AMD64 hardware, and we've been studying replacing our 2-
socket single-core compute nodes with half as many 2-socket dual-core
systems, and doing some similar consolidation of our support
servers.  Part of the motivation for this is we've exceeded our
available A/C capacity.  I ran the numbers and at the same clock
speed (2.8 GHz) we could cut our power consumption (and, by
extension, our heat generation) by a third.  By giving up 200 MHz per
chip to switch to HE-series CPUs we could cut it by almost half.