[mythtv-users] how to set up xorg.conf for overscan

Alex Halovanic halovanic at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 20:03:02 UTC 2007

Stupid Gmail just lost the very long directions I was typing about how
to make a custom modeline, so I'll just give a short version:

Disable use of EDID modelines (see the Nvidia README)
Try defining this modeline in your monitor section:
ModeLine "ATSC-720-59.94p" 74.176 1280 1320 1376 1650 720 722 728 750
(this may need +hsync +vsync or -hsync -vsync or some combination at the end)

If you can get X using that modeline, and NOT the ones that your TV
defines, then decrease the 1280 and 720 numbers.  Any changes must be
by a multiple of 8 pixels.  Restart X, Observe, Repeat.

If all of that works, and your image appears off-centre, I can give
directions for fixing that too.

Alex