[mythtv-users] Even further OT: Call me Sally Hot Sauce

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 18:17:49 UTC 2007

On 10/29/07, Jeff Wormsley <daworm at comcast.net> wrote:

> Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 01:14:51PM +0100, Ma Begaj wrote:
> >> more OT ... where does the "Well slap my mouth and call me Sally"
> >> comes from? I read it a few times but I never found an information
> >> about the source .... is there any :)
> >
> > I was hoping I could get someone to ask:
> >
> > Excuse me: it's "Smack my ass and call me Sally" -- it's the name brand
> > of the house hot sauces at Tijuana Flats Burrito Company, including
> > "Chet's gone Mad", their 1.5M Scoville food additive that comes in an
> > eyedropper bottle inside a pill bottle, and you have to sign -- I am
> > not making this up -- a release to buy it.
> >
> >       http://hotfoods.tijuanaflats.com/smack.php
>
> It's similar to "Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle."  It doesn't really
> "mean" anything, it is simply the description of a foolish event or
> condition used to indicate that I'm being foolish myself.  How things
> like this catch on and spread is beyond me, much like slang words that
> seem to make no sense.
>
> Of course, "I'll be a monkey's uncle" is synonymous with silly because
> of the Scopes Monkey Trial, which happened about 20 miles up the road
> from me, but that's for another mailing list...
>
> Jeff.
>
> --

Both phrases are actually very old poor farming phrases. I'll be a
monkey's uncle was originally a racial slur, referencing a common
custom to call all  old black men "Uncle" whoever.  Slap my ass and
call me Sally was a reference to driving mules; the original
implication is that you're surprised someone managed to convince you
to do something without you realizing it.