[mythtv-users] Garbled Closed captions with PVR-350

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Oct 29 02:53:39 UTC 2007

Pankaj Chavan wrote:

> Well, there is only a little bit of ghosting and snow.
>  Moreover, dbx-401 shows perfect captions as well.
> Moreover, zvbi-ntsc-cc -c -d /dev/vbi1 (on PVR-350 vbi
> device) shows perfect captions as well, hence my
> suspicion that MythTV decoding is broken.

Hmmm... Mine works great, with 150s. I'm not sure if 150s and 350s
behave differently or not in this regard.

I'm using version 0.20.20070821, ivtv 0.10.1

I'd try and look at the caption data visually, it's on line 21, near the
bottom of the black horizontal bar just above the picture. Perhaps you
can see it by tweaking vertical hold or position.

You should see several stationary pulses at the left, and obviously
changing black and white portions to the right of that. The transitions
should be clean. If this looks good at least it's being demodulated OK,
which doesn't prove much you don't already know, but if it does look
like crap it might NOT be a Myth/IVTV problem.

beww