[mythtv-users] Upscaling SD content on an HDTV set

David Brieck Jr. dbrieck at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 12:05:41 UTC 2007

On 10/27/07, David Fishburn <dfishburn.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am about to purchase an HDTV (either 720p or 1080p).  We still have
> an old 27" CRT and would like a larger TV.
>
> Based on what I have read (here and the internet) and the distance I
> will be from the TV, there is actually no advantage to getting a 1080p
> set.
>
> 99% of the material I watch will be SD.  Many of the HDTVs I have seen
> display a nearly unwatchable SD signal.
>
> A couple of questions:
>
> 1.  I used MythArchive to create a DVD of some of my SD shows.  If I
> take this in and watch it on the new HDTVs, will it accurately
> represent what I will see when I watch an SD recording at home?
>
> 2.  Will Myth do "something" for me to make a regular SD recording
> better when displayed on the HDTV?  Will it upscale the image?
>
> Is there anything else I need to be aware of, or how to improve things
> for the transition?
>
> There was a good thread started here
> (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/290750) "HDMI: HD
> beatiful, SD not", but it fell short of responses.  Essentially it
> said to run the TV and it's native resolution and Myth will upscale.
> There was no conclusive response on whether this worked or not.
>
> I am looking at any of these TVs currently:
> Samsung LN-T4053H (40")
> Samsung LN-T4061F (40")
> Toshiba 42H167 (42")
> LG 42LC72 (42")
>
> If someone has any feedback regarding this, please pass it along.
>
> TIA,
> Dave

We have a 32" 720p set and for the most part I'm happy with how SD content
looks on it. It looks better than the internal tuner on the TV hooked up to
the cable line so that's about all I can expect. I have it hooked up via a
DVI to HDMI cable and IMHO it looks better than when I have it hooked up
with a VGA cable.

DVDs also look very good on it. Best advice I can offer would be to transfer
one of your recordings onto a laptop and try it out in the store if they'll
let you. I personally didn't do that but I only spent about $500, those 40
and 42 inchers can be pretty pricey.

Good Luck!