[mythtv-users] OT: LVM and housekeeping

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat Oct 27 17:53:33 UTC 2007

On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 08:32:06PM -0400, Pam Ashworth wrote:
> in a volume group, is it possible that any one file (recording) is
> spread over different drives?

I know absolutely nothing about how LVM allocates things inside a VG,
and while there may be a way to map it, I don't know what that is.

> secondly, Jay, we can get the machine to boot if we attach all the
> drives, can't we? It could do that when it left the house. I'd like
> to be able to at least remove the files which are not in the
> recordings directory. There's a lot of AVIs and a batch of data files
> I moved there cause you said Linux is more stable than Windows and
> install files you moved there, not telling me you only meant to put
> them there temporarily.

As I've already said, yes, we can.  It just takes a spare machine.

I've asked Dave to keep an eye out for a P4 in the warehouse.
There are, obviously, a billion and six up here, but I don't have a
second suitcase.

> It seemed to me that most of the oops, I've forgotten I have
> hardware, let me lock up and die! was during recordings. or during
> recording. which might mean my files are still accessible. Unless
> it's just another thing I don't know about linux. IOW - I'm not
> talking about ghosting, I'm talking about pulling the files off
> individually.

Yes.

Cheers,
-- jra