[mythtv-users] HDHomerun and PID filtering

David Shay david at shay.net
Sat Oct 27 15:43:57 UTC 2007

On 10/27/07, David Shay <david at shay.net> wrote:

> I'm running SVN 14510 and having an issue with HDHomerun and PID
> filtering.  For a number of reasons, I've setup my dtv_multiplex and channel
> table entries manually, one of them being that a scan misses several good
> channels.  Instead of delving too much into that right now, what I'm
> interested in is why I can watch one via the hdhomerun save command, but not
> via myth.
>
> This is basically down to just one channel now, and yes, I've quadruple
> checked my channel and dtv_multiplex entries.
>
> The interesting thing is that if I use hdhomerun to tune to the channel
> and program stream, and then check the filter status externally to myth, I
> get a whole "valid" set of PIDs.  Within the myth logs when it tries to
> access the tuner, however, I only get two PIDs -- 0x0 and 0x1ffb.  Fairly
> certain those aren't valid.
>
> Question 1 is why is this happening?

Sorry to answer my own question, but in case anyone has the same issue, this
is happening because my cable company isn't really sending the right
information on this channel.

Also, in digging around the hdhrchannel code, it would appear that if it
> detects that the tuning mode is "mpeg" that it will try to force it to use
> the hdhromerun program command instead of filters, which I think would be
> ideal here.  So I tried to get the tuning mode to mpeg in a number of ways.
> First, I set the mode in sistandard in dtv_multiplex, but that didn't seem
> to work.  Despite putting several debug statements in the code, I never
> figured out where it was getting overridden.  Finally, as a last resource, I
> just hacked the "if" statement that triggered use of the program command to
> test for atsc instead of mpeg.  Fairly disastrous results there in that it
> didn't record anything after that.  So Question 2 is what is the proper way
> to activate the direct program selection logic instead of PID filtering?

Proper way is to activate "Quick Tune" on the input connections page.  Once
I set this, it all started working great.  Only issue is, this is a "global"
setting for the entire input connection, but my cable company is just as
prone to move an HDTV channel to a whole different frequency as they are to
move it to another program within a frequency, so it doesn't much matter.