[mythtv-users] CardID renumber

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 04:22:19 UTC 2007

On 27/10/2007, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 10/26/2007 04:50 PM, Nick Morrott wrote:
> > On 26/10/2007, MythTV User <mythuser at mydean.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I've got two tuners however, they are numbered as Tuner/Encoder 1 and
> >> Tuner/Encoder 3. I think this happened when I added the 2nd one thru
> >> mythtv-setup, which came up correctly as Tuner 2, then deleted this tuner
> >> after some testing. The next time I added it, it came up as Tuner 3.
> >>

> >> Is it as simple as running an sql command to change the cardid field at
> >> table capturecard? I am hesitant on deleting it and adding it back again in
> >> mythtv-setup as it may came out as Tuner 4 :).
> >>
> >> Please send me the exact sql command. Thanks.
> >>
> > As Brad states, this is really a cosmetic issue.
>
> Exactly--especially since on a properly configured system, you won't
> even see the "cardid" (or cardinputid).  You should assign names to your
> inputs, and they'll be called--whatever you named them.  (This assumes
> that "properly configured" means you've assigned a name since you didn't
> want to see the "default" names.)

You will still see cardid and sourceid (and channel id) if you look in
the backend log - perhaps this output should be made more useful (by
which I mean usable by a regular user for debugging) to instead output
the channel name, the input name and the source name?

I'm thinking of outputting the understandable:

2007-10-27 05:02:38.019 Started recording: This Old House with Steve
and Norm on Discovery RealTime (VirginMedia) using PVR-350

instead of the cryptic:

2007-10-27 05:02:38.019 Started recording: This Old House with Steve
and Norm: channel 2271 on cardid 4, sourceid 2

The current backend log output clearly identifies channel/source/card
for those that can remember them referenced by id, or know where to
look :). The example log output I suggest above instantly informs a
user using 'real-life' references - hopefully something that might
speed up issue resolution.

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki: