[mythtv-users] Full HD MythTV

Doug Young goofdad at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 03:31:28 UTC 2007

On 10/26/07, Jerry Rubinow <jerrymr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Mainly I'm skeptical of their stated reason for not implementing under
> Linux, as Kevin mentioned.

While I agree that it's a BS reason, I have found that it's a common
one.  It took a lot of convincing from and for a lot of people to get
my current company to even consider a Linux version of their server
software.  Most corporate entities are scared of releasing on Linux,
and justifiably so.  Linux as a community has not been kind to closed
source.  Either you screw-up your rights under GPL and get sued for it
by the EFF (see Cisco/Linksys and many others), or you get hated by
the community at large (see the /. attitude towards the nVidia closed
source drivers).

In general, from 30,000 feet, it -looks like- a lose-lose situation to
someone wearing a suit and tie, and unfortunately those are the people
who have to be convinced before a piece of linux software can be
released by a commercial entity.  When / if I go down this road I will
be discussing options with them.  Ideally, I'll be able to convince
them to release something for linux, but I'm not holding my breath.
--
Doug