[mythtv-users] cheap ($250) HD component video capture..

Chris Ribe chrisribe at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 22:40:51 UTC 2007

> Is your core 2 duo six times faster than your PIII?  There are
> anywhere from six to nine times the pixels to deal with, depending on
> what resolution you were recording SDTV at..

Actually, my math says there are 5.3 - 6 times as many pixels in an HD frame
than a 720x480 SD one.

Tom's Hardware says that an E6600 c2d will encode video approximately
3.2times faster than my 1Ghz PIII.

Of course, encoding 720x480 RTJPEG only uses about 50% CPU on that PIII.  I
used it as a combo BE/FE until I built my first HD frontend.

> Considering that modern CPUs are hard pressed to play back HDTV
> streams without hardware acceleration, encoding them on the fly seems
> like a tall order.

I'm not saying that it would be easy to squeeze uncompressed HD down to
12mbit at good quality, but there is a large range of compression levels
between there and uncompressed.

-chris

--
TV/IT Engineer