[mythtv-users] cheap ($250) HD component video capture..

Preston Crow pc-mythtv07a at crowcastle.net
Fri Oct 26 14:43:12 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 10:31 -0400, Alex Halovanic wrote:
> This device has come up several times in this list already, and the
> showstopper is that it captures uncompressed HD video, which would be
> nearly a terabyte an hour.

So that means an extra $200 or $300 in hard drive space, and a
limitation that you can only record one hour per day (assuming you can
compress it overnight, and that you have enough hard drive bandwidth to
record it).

And considering that Intel has demonstrated compressing HDTV in real
time with a Core 2 Duo (using some sort of wavelet encoding, if I recall
correctly) down to 40GB/hour or so, it's not unreasonable to think that
we could get some real-time compression that gets the size down to
something manageable.

My prediction is that a year from now, we'll have a workable HD
component video capture solution for Myth, either with hardware like
this and an all-software solution, or new hardware with some built-in
compression.