[mythtv-users] suggestions for improving my external channel changing script

j. berger qazzeryd at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 05:27:20 UTC 2007

>> I have a script that uses mplayer and gocr to look at the first few
>> seconds of my myth recording file to determine if the channel changed.
>> This will only work if your cable system inserts the channel number into
>> the stream.  You will have to adjust the crop line to for your cable
>> systems on screen info area.
>>

> Hmmm... I tried your script, but I don't have the ivtv-tune binary or
> send_channel_change binaries/scripts. Where would I get this?
>
> Looks very well done though, I'd love to get it to work!

My cable box has 3 streams on CH4, CH7, and CH13.  I think the box is
the N3 VDSL Gateway from Next Level Communications, now part of Motorola.

I call this script like "change-channel /dev/video0 CH4 101".  My first
pvr150  would tune to channel 4 where is would find the cable system
channel 101.  My cable system has its own on screen info about the
currently tuned channel that is the real key at making this useful.  You
could change the send_channel_change lines to "nameofyourperlscript
$CMD" .   The lines about killing the iguana could be deleted.  My old
box using a iguanawork transeiver would hang sometimes, so I would kill
the command if it took to long.  You should be able to get ivtv-tune
from http://ivtvdriver.org/, but it is only useful if you are using the
ivtv driver otherwise the line could be deleted.