[mythtv-users] Dell dual-quad-core Xeon server for $779

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 19:49:09 UTC 2007

> I'll bet they are lowballing the initial machine cost and hoping to make
> it up selling accessories, so if you can get by with the base
> configuration, or expand it yourself, you can get a deal.

Yep - just like movie theaters charging a minimal (believe it or not)
admission price, then charging a LOT for refreshments.

Note the RAM prices - fully buffered DIMMs required (around $100-$140
per gig, while Crucial charges $80 per gig for RAM compatible with the
SC 1430).

In fact, the low price could be _because_ some upgrades are expensive
(Crucial has _some_ types of DDR2 at $40/gig), and the servers are
selling poorly as a result (this is, of course, merely wild
speculation on my part).

At any rate, if the RAM is sufficient for your use, and you can add
non-Dell drives, then it's probably a good deal for you.

Calvin