[mythtv-users] Changing mythconverg tables to use MEMORY a opposed to MyISAM?

Ma Begaj derliebegott at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 13:08:47 UTC 2007

2007/10/25, David Campbell <dave at cpfc.org>:
> Ben Lancaster wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Has anyone experimented with changing the table types of some
> > commonly used tables in mythconverg to use MEMORY rather than MyISAM?
> > In an attempt to reduce disk noise, I was wondering whether this
> > could be a worthwhile approach? Obviously, there's corruption issues
> > in case of power failure or MySQL server crashes, but I haven't had
> > either in years
>
> It would be possible but a pita to maintain.  I have never used heap
> tables for anything other than entirely disposable data - session data
> for example.  I guess you could backup to disk nighlty at a quiet time
> so you only lose 24 hours of data.

I was thinking about something simpler ... or not actually simpler,
but more primitive :)

/tmp is 256MB big tmpfs partition and it could be bigger, because I
have enough memory. I was thinking about moving some less important
tables with much IO to /tmp before starting mysql and just making
symbolic links from /var/lib/mysql/mythconverg/whatever to these
tables in /tmp/mysql_mythconverg/whatever... and copying these tables
back in /var/lib/mysql after stopping mysql before shutdown.

I don't know which tables have a lot of IO, but that should not be
hard to find by using "-v all" or "-v database"... Are there any
tables whit such characteristics... that is the question :)

M.