[mythtv-users] What kind of card do I need for a backend only system?

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 09:44:24 UTC 2007

On 25/10/2007, Anil Gupte <anil-list at icinema.com> wrote:

> I am trying to go to the next level and have a backend/frontend setup.  I
> have two PVR-350s which I am using in two combined systems right now.  What
> kind of card should I get for a ackend only solution?  I assume it will be
> less expensive because I need an encoder only card.  Can I then stream the
> backend output to the frontend through an IP connection?  Then on the front
> end what kind of card do I need?  Is there a FAQ about this somewhere?

Well there's http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Category:Hardware

The most direct replacements for your 350s, but without the decoder,
would be the PVR150, or PVR500 (a dual 150), but check the mailing
lists for current status because there have been version which have
struggled under linux.

Frontends only really need a video card and a remote control
interface, so maybe you can just put your 350s into the backend and
buy a couple of cheap nvidia cards with TV out and USB remote
controls?

Reasons to keep the 350s in the frontend might be:

1)  Your frontends are *very*  underpowered  (<1GHz) in which case you
might need the 350's decoder.

2)  You like the quality of the 350s TV out.  General agreement is
that the 350s TV out  is (or at least should  be) better than a VGA
card;s TV out.  However I made the switch to nvidia from a PVR 350 and
never really noticed  a problem.

3)  You want to continue using the 350's remote control receiver.

What you end up doing probably depends on why you are making the
switch to separate front and backends.  Obviously it will put all your
recordings in one place, which is a big advantage,  but maybe you have
some other reasons?