[mythtv-users] Using ASUS M2NPV-VM on-board nvidia chip?

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 10:02:22 UTC 2007

On 10/23/07, Sean Goodpasture <goofygrin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Running Mythdora 4 (upgraded to the SD, 20.1?)
>
> Maybe your memory is going bad?  I'd get memtest86 and burn it to a CD to
> verify that the memory is good.

Sean,

My original FE installation was built with Fedora Core 6 following Jarrod's
HOWTO,
while I just rebuilt it using a different disk and MythDora 4 last night.  I
didn't do a
lot of poking around (shows to watch, you know), but I could see that some
things
were set up differently.  Maybe that will help.

As for the memory suspicion, I had considered that, too.  I have already run
it through
the wringer with memtest and had no errors in multiple passes.

The HD I was using when it ground to a halt is pretty old, and I have the
thought stuck
in the back of my head that the windoze system this used to be on had
similar problems
way back when I used it before (it had been in the bone pile for several
years).

BTW, when I say ground to a halt, I mean that I had more and more problems
booting up
until finally it got to the point that too many services wouldn't start and
I couldn't get the
system to reach the point of starting X.  The disk still *works*, and I now
have it as a slave
for the time being to extract customization files and settings from over the
next few days.
After that, I expect to put it through the wringer with some kind of disk
activity testing to
see if I can prove this to be a sick drive.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

Craig.