[mythtv-users] USB remote

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Oct 22 21:01:42 UTC 2007

1

>   From the implementations I've seen, that involves running a wire/ir
> emitter to every ir receiver.  In my case, I'd have 3 wires taped to
> the front of my stereo.   That doesn't sound very aesthetically or
> wife friendly.

The difference between an IR blaster and an IR transmitter is
range/directionality.  If you really have a blaster, you can "blast" the
signal out to multiple pieces of equipment with only one IR transmitter
(possibly even bouncing it off walls and back at the components).  An IR
transmitter on the other hand, may or may not have sufficient range or
may require too much directionality to do the same (i.e. all IR blasters
are IR transmitters, but some IR transmitters are /not/ IR blasters).
Generally, TiVo's and other "controls your other equipment using remote
codes" components have IR blasters (though some have transmitters with
multiple leads).

The IR transmitters you describe sound as if they are not IR blasters.

Mike