[mythtv-users] USB remote

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Oct 22 20:07:07 UTC 2007

On 10/22/2007 03:30 PM, Michael Lynch wrote:
> On 10/22/07, Stephen Brooks <nightbikeman at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> I've used an ATI remote wonder it's USB and works without too much fiddling.
>>
>> http://www.itx-warehouse.co.uk/Product.aspx?ProductID=159
>>
>> Only £22.
>>
>> Only niggle is the large mouse pad in the middle that I don't  use.
> ...and it can't control your other devices ;)

But, by hooking an IR blaster to your Myth box, you can send RF commands
to the Myth box via the RW and it can send IR commands to other
devices--thereby, you control your other devices using only the RW.

This approach is, IMHO, significantly better than getting a "smart"
remote.  Then entire Myth box becomes the smart remote, so you're able
to determine much more information about state and create much more
complex "macros" for controlling your equipment.  Oh, and you never have
to deal with "mode" buttons on your remote (i.e. "Oh, the remote is in
Receiver mode, so when I hit the power button, it didn't turn on my TV.
So, let's see, I hit the TV mode button, hit power, then hit the Myth
mode button, then select Watch TV, then hit the Receiver mode button to
change the input..."  Could be, "OK, I hit the TV button on the RW and
Myth turns on my TV, changes the input on my receiver, and starts
playing LiveTV.")

Mike