[mythtv-users] USB remote

Larry Sanderson larry.sanderson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 19:48:39 UTC 2007

On Monday 22 October 2007 09:50:08 am Josh White wrote:
> So my question is: what are you guys using?  Any recommendations?
> What does everyone like about their setup in terms of their
> remotes/interface? Any specific regrets?
>
> Thanks,

Well, I know you are looking for inexpensive, but I am using the
Gyration Media Center Remote.  The website appears to be down, but
here's a review:
http://www.engadget.com/2005/04/27/gyrations-media-center-remote-control/
It has 4 "modes", the first is a USB-keyboard mode, and the other 3 are
IR modes.  The IR modes are all programmable.

Unfortunately, the USB key-board mode has 5 (iirc) keys that are not
mappable in Linux due to their scan-codes being above 255.  Those keys
are not crucial, and you can work around them, but it is annoying.

Of course, the thing that makes it a "gyration" product is the built in
solid state gyroscope which allows you to use it as a mouse by waving
the thing around.

It's over $100 though, so definitely not for everyone.