[mythtv-users] USB remote

Mike Poublon poublon at geeksoft.dyndns.org
Mon Oct 22 16:22:03 UTC 2007

Josh White wrote:
> I'm finally getting the living room portion of my myth system
> together, and I'm now in the market for a remote.  I'd prefer to have
> a USB interface, but I suppose serial or parallel port would work too
> (I have no IR receiver at this time, so I'd like something that
> includes the whole shebang).  I'd like some kind of programmable
> remote to control my TV (turn it on off, change channels, volume) as
> well as my surround sound receiver (I'd like to be able to switch
> inputs, and the like), and of course, do all the myth stuff one would
> need.  I'd like to have it look like a typical television remote, I'm
> not looking for a PDA to control everything (well, I think that would
> be sweet, but my wife wouldn't).  My living room front end is an old
> P4 IBM NetVista desktop PC, so I have all the normal inputs you would
> associate with that.  I'm using an FX5200 graphics card, and the built
> in sound.  All my tuners are in the master back end, so I can't use my
> control that came with my PVR-250 or it's IR input (and I'd rather
> not, since I have the "early" remote that looks rather week).
>
> So my question is: what are you guys using?  Any recommendations?
> What does everyone like about their setup in terms of their
> remotes/interface? Any specific regrets?
I'm using a Streamzap remote that I got for around $30 from
www.thinkgeek.com. The remote and USB IR receiver work well with LIRC.
An added bonus is that the receiver works with many if not all standard
IR remotes (from what I can tell). You could use this with any
"Universal" remote that could control the rest of your system.