[mythtv-users] plans to improve Myth/Compiz integration?

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 15:20:27 UTC 2007

On 10/20/07, Ben Kevan <ben.kevan at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > No reason to have compiz.. I would remove it actually..
> >
> > No offense but your response is really stupid.  Yes no reason to have
> > compiz on a dedicated frontend but. . .  Many people (like me) run
> > mythfrontend on their normal desktop computer.  I've been looking for a
> > good solution to this problem for months.
>
> How is the response stupid. He didn't elaborate on the use of the box.
> When I
> think of Myth unless otherwise stated, I will presume it is a standalone
> MythTV box.
>
> So.. I guess you don't start MythTV on startup, since you use it as a
> desktop
> also, why don't you just write a startup script for MythTV (when you want
> use it) to kill compiz before the frontend starts.

I still think the response "No reason to have compiz" is stupid.  MythTV
should work with every significant window manager a user might want to run.
Just like compiz should work with every significant application a user might
want to run.

Your solution to kill compiz before starting Mythfrontend wont work.  I have
multiple desktops and I often leave Mythfrontend running on one while I do
stuff on the other desktops.  When I want to watch TV I simply switch back
to the MythTV desktop.