[mythtv-users] 1 lineup, 2 sources. FIREWIRE input (20.2 package from Feisty)

Daniel Arfsten darfsten at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 22 13:07:58 UTC 2007

Why?  Since Myth now has support for using the same lineup for
multiple
video sources, adding support to SD to allow multiple lineups
with
different channels would be significantly less efficient than
the
current approach.  (If anything, Myth should provide a
capability to use
one XMLTV grabber's download for multiple video sources--i.e.
provide
the same capability it provides for SD users to those who don't
have
access to such a great listings source.  ;)

Most users who need to use the same "provider" (i.e.
CableDigital) for
multiple video sources do so because some input can receive only
subset of channels--i.e. the user has an STB that receives /all/
channels and outputs to a PVR-x50 for capture, but also connects
the
cable line directly to PVR-x50's for analog-only channels and
may
connect the cable line directly to QAM-capable capture cards or
use STB
firewire output for unencrypted digital channels.  In this
situation--by
definition--any channels in the analog-only lineup and the
unencrypted-digital-only lineup would be duplicated in the
all-channels
lineup.  Therefore, we would waste bandwidth downloading the
same
information multiple times.  We would also waste TMS/SD
processing
resources creating the 3 "customized" lineups rather than simply
providing one lineup (the all-channels lineup) and telling Myth
to use
it for 3 video sources, where two use only a subset of the
channels.

IMHO, ease of configuration isn't a good reason to be
inefficient/wasteful--especially since configuration is a
one-time
process for users and has no impact on ease of use once
completed.  (OK,
as I'm the guy who always says, "Delete all...", configuration
may occur
multiple times, but learning to configure one lineup for use
with
multiple video sources is a one-time process.)

Instead, perhaps those who work through this process can
document their
approach and submit patches to Robert for his (much better than
the one
I did on the lists) writeup (
http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-24.html#ss24.4 ) of how to
configure
a system to use one lineup for multiple video sources.  (Patches
to the
SGML are preferred, but patches to plain text or even plain text
write
ups are accepted.)

(I will admit that users of SD who are using the information for
purposes other than Myth may find the capability to create
multiple
lineups from a single provider useful, but, IMHO, those programs
should
also create support for using one lineup for multiple
"purposes".
MythTV and XMLTV both support it, so...)

Mike

RESPONSE BELOW

If your guide worked for firewire, I'd be happy to use it but it doesn't. I
am using Mythtv Feisty package 20.2-fixes. It keeps saying that the newq
channels won't be added because there isn't a grabber for them or somethign
like that.

Daniel