[mythtv-users] Cheap SCSI scanners - was:The Bigger... Disk contest, Fall 2007 edition

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Oct 20 22:41:23 UTC 2007

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 20, 2007 at 02:14:50PM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
>> Beta is still in use by commercial broadcasters, while the "pro" variant
>> of VHS (DVC Pro) is used only by very low-budget outfits.
>
> Beta is only-just-barely still in brodcast use; anything top-30 markets
> is into at least DigiBeta, which shares nothing but the cartride.

Well the "small shell" beta, in all of its incarnations, certainly had a
great run. From camcorders (dockable and otherwise), BetaCart machines,
the Sony LMS machines...

> DVCPro is actually still in quite a bit of use in, again, markets 31
> and down; I don't think it ever cracked the top 30.  Though it's
> counterpart, DVCam, did, so maybe...

DVC Pro was actually used in NYC, by Fox News Channel, if you consider
that the NYC ADI :-) We used Beta when I was with CNN in NYC.

>> (BTW - I just bought a pair of Seagate 73GB 10K RPM Ultra-3 SCSI drives
>> for $42 each)
>
> Yeah; that stuff is *much* cheaper on the secondary market; especially
> the 80-pin drives.  If it werent for the cost of *housings*, that's
> where I'd take my sister's machine.

Well I got similar deals on the rest of the hardware, you just have to
hunt around. I just couldn't resist a machine with absolutely no IDE in
it at all - even the CD-ROM drive is SCSI, as is the DLT tape drive.

I can't recall ever hearing of an IDE DLT drive :-)

beww