[mythtv-users] Cheap SCSI scanners - was:The Bigger... Disk contest, Fall 2007 edition

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat Oct 20 22:18:32 UTC 2007

On Sat, Oct 20, 2007 at 01:38:33PM -0600, Calvin Dodge wrote:
> IDE was (and still is) far less expensive, as well as requiring less
> power for the interface.  Tell someone that for $250 they can have a
> 73 gig SCSI drive or a 750 gig SATA drive, and see which one they
> choose.

Um... isn't this where we started?  :-)

> Firewire and SCSI devices are still available right now - but they're
> more expensive, and that's the deciding factor for most people. So
> even though they're better, for most applications they're not
> _competitive_.

That depends on which audience you're in.

That datacenter buyers still use SCSI (and shortly, SAS) drives
exclusively, even over that 6:1 price disadvantage -- and the need to
sell it to PHBs -- tells me that the price differential exists for a
reason, or those guys would lose their jobs.

Cheers,
-- jra