[mythtv-users] Cheap SCSI scanners - was:The Bigger... Disk contest, Fall 2007 edition

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Oct 20 16:49:42 UTC 2007

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 20, 2007 at 09:22:52AM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
>> It seems the manufacturers, at least of consumer gear, will always
>> choose the worst solution: VHS over Beta, USB over Firewire, IDE over
>> SCSI, NTSC over PAL (at least in the USA), 802.11B/G over 802.11A etc.
>
> Of course, they will: the right solution costs 17c more a unit.

True, but instead of just admitting that they are trying to get costs
down (or profits up) they seem to always try and snow us into believing
that the cheaper solution is somehow "better" for us.

It's just an insult to our intelligence, like assuming we will not
notice that they now put 12 ounces of coffee in what used to be a 1
pound can, for (at least) the same price, or that our "108 Mbps"
wireless hardware will never come close to that speed, or that "802.11N"
does not exist.

beww