[mythtv-users] The Bigger... Disk contest, Fall 2007 edition

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Sat Oct 20 01:54:23 UTC 2007

> >> Fair enough, but I don't think valid anymore to assume SCSI = "server
> >> class" and non-SCSI = "desktop class."  The Seagate Barracudas have a
> >> 24x7 duty cycle, whether they're SAS or SATA.
> >
> > Well, that's what we use, and we had one decide, about a year into
> > it's
> > duty, maybe 2 tops, that if you tried to read a certain range of
> > sectors, *it would make the IDE controller drop off line, until
> > powercycle*.

That's why I favor external USB2 or firewire drives these days- isolation.

Hotpluggability means the signal bus is isolated.

And independent power means you don't have a power fluctuation take
out multiple drives at a time (one time all three IDE drives in my
media box went out at the same time).

I even run the hard drives off separate UPSs (now that they've gotten
cheap).  ((And the mass at the base of my upright flat-screen
wall-hugging media cabinet helps keep it from from being knocked
over.))

I love zfs-fuse.  It's so easy to add and remove drives, and with as
much, or as little redundancy as I want.  No more raid/lvm/pv/lv/vg
confusion.  Now I just have to get myth running on it.

TG