[mythtv-users] merging/spliting recordings

John Veness John.Veness.myth at pelago.org.uk
Fri Oct 19 21:00:33 UTC 2007

Ma Begaj wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I read a few months ago on the list, that someone is working on the
> option to merge/split recordings.
>
> Did somebody hear anything about this any more?
>
> I can merge recordings on the shell by using cat file1.mpg file2.mpg >
> file3.mpg, but it would be nice to be able to do it in mythtv. I just
> have such a situation and I remembered that someone mentioned this on
> the list.
>
> Also it is pretty stupid, when two recordings are starting one after
> other (example: two Prison Break episodes) and when 1st episode is
> ending in the 2nd recording, because the recordings are split in two
> files. Two recordings are also stealing a few  (2-3) seconds from the
> show, because of the break between.
>
> M.

Someone (sorry, I don't have details) is working on a system to write to
two files simultaneously when necessary, so in the situation you
describe with back-to-back recordings on the same channel you shouldn't
lose any seconds.

Even when that feature arrives, I agree that splitting and merging
recordings within Myth would be useful. I have films split over two
recordings (the news was in-between the two halves) which I would like
to merge, and 3-hour recordings of 'compilations' which I would like to
split.

Cheers,

John

--