[mythtv-users] HDHomerun and network problems?

Michael Rice mikerice1969 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 16:42:49 UTC 2007

I am in the process of adding HD to my Myth setup.  I've added the
following new variables recently:
1) HDHR
2) Another disk (500Mb SATA)
3) Myth SVN
4) New frontend

So last night I was trying to watch a hockey game.  It was an SD
recording at my High Quality setting (about half the bitrate of an HD
show).  I was getting lots of prebuffering pauses making it basically
unwatchable though my frontend was only using about 10% cpu.  I went
upstairs and tried the game on my backend machine and it played
perfectly.  So I am thinking its a network problem.  At the time I had
2 HD recordings going on the HDHR.  At 11:00PM when the HDHR finished
the game started playing fine.

As far as I know there wasn't much else happening on my 100Mb
network... just the two HDHR recordings and the playback of the game.
Shouldn't my network handle this bandwidth ok?   It looks like this:

      -------------
     | cable modem |
      -------------

   --------------------------
  |  Netgear Wireless Router |/_ Wireless
  |         10/100Mb         |\  Connections
    V       V       V      V
MythBE   MythFE    HDHR    Windows PC

I wouldn't be surprised if this was too much traffic for the router
but how can I tell for sure?  Since the MythBE/MythFE/WindowsPC all
have Gigabit ethernet  I probably want to add a new switch in here
anyway... What would be the easiest way to add gigabit to my network?
Do I need a new gigabit router or can I buy a switch and continue to
use the netgear for wireless and DHCP?