[mythtv-users] 64-bit Ubuntu 7.10/Mythtv

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Fri Oct 19 15:17:49 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 11:00 -0400, Josh White wrote:
> Anyway, being that this is Ubuntu, and that my problem in general is
> displaying video I figured there would be some simple how-to that
> would explain how to "add x repository, sudo apt-get update, and then
> install x package" as is the solution to just about every problem with
> an everyday task like displaying video in Ubuntu.  I am sitting
> several miles away from my machines right now or I'd give more
> details.

This is weird, my system is AMD64, with an nVidia card (nvidia-glx),
using the ubutnu packages (plus the Mythbuntu layer, which should not
make any bit of difference in the end).

I am not experiencing anything close to your issues, at all.

I'm playing all kinds of media (mpeg1/2, divx, xvid, vorbis, theora,
including VC-1 1080p stuff (mplayer rc2, the only manual compile on the
box, with the v4l-dvb drivers), using avi, ogg, mkv, ts and mp4
containers and DVDs.

My repositories are all the usual Ubuntu stuff (main, restricted,
multiverse, universe, security backports), plus Medibuntu (free, non
free). That's all.

The system started its life as a daily CD Gutsy install somewhere in
june and was kept up-to-date throughout the dev cycle.

Your stuff is out of the ordinary, which may explain why there is no
how-to, there is normally no need for any.

I'm sorry that I cannot really offer any additional help, just the
assurance that there is a way to make it work, normally without any
weird thing needed to be done.

Nico