[mythtv-users] The Bigger... Disk contest, Fall 2007 edition

Thu Oct 18 18:08:14 UTC 2007

> Well, to be clear: I just think that there's a reason why SCSI drives
> cost 6 times as much, and that it comes out in reliability.
>
> And, FWIW, I now *have* read that Google paper, or at least the
> abstract and the lede, and it doesn't mention SCSI disks at *all*; I
> repeat: the Google White Paper *does not say* that ATA disks are just as
> reliable as equivalent SCSI disks.

Given that major companies like IBM and SUN now support SATA in their
SAN devices, I think its safe to say that reliability has come way up on
these drives.  There was a time that I agreed with you on SCSI but I
believe the SATA has matured the low end hard drive to work just as
effectively in a high end environment like a SAN.  The low-cost of the
drive makes it much more effective to have standby drives, and
cost-effective replacements.  I couldn't justify the costs of SCSI in
that environment anymore and I build and configure alot of these systems
for clients.  SCSI certainly has its place, but its losing ground in the
hard drive world, IMHO.

Norm