[mythtv-users] The Bigger... Disk contest, Fall 2007 edition

Scott list-mythtv at bluecamel.eml.cc
Thu Oct 18 16:27:56 UTC 2007

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 09:08:04 -0600, "Joe Ripley"
<vitaminjoe at gmail.com> said:
> On 10/18/07, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
>
> > "mak[ing] your boot drive a RAID1 across all your disks" implies two
> > things I can't get my head around: mirroring more than 2 drives, and
> > what I assume is mirroring only single partitions?
>
> You got it.  Since it's software RAID, it's mirroring only the boot
> partition(s), not the entire disk. (i.e. sd[abcd]1 = md0 RAID1,
> sd[abcd]2 = md1 RAID5, md0 = 1GB, md1 = 1.5TB - 1GB).

Have you tested booting off the mirrored drives when one drive is
disconnected? I've seen a number of boot failures because one of the two
drives doesn't have the MBR updated with the boot loader. As a result,
if the drive with the boot loader is offline then the boot process
fails. :) The fix is easy enough, of course.