[mythtv-users] ZFS - what's the scoop?

Tino Keitel tino.keitel at gmx.de
Thu Oct 18 09:28:47 UTC 2007

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 02:09:20 -0700, David Rees wrote:
> On 10/18/07, Tino Keitel <tino.keitel at gmx.de> wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 14:47:52 -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> > > http://www.ntfs-3g.org/performance.html
> >
> > It looks like they tested with an ancient, slow hard disk to make
> > ntfs-3g not look too bad compared to the other filesystems. Any recent
> > 3,5" hard disk should reach ~60 MB/s during sequential reads/writes
> > (the operations that are pretty relevant for MythTV usage).
>
> I fail to see how the speed of the disk they used for their benchmarks
> is relevant unless they used a faster disk for ntfs-3g and slower
> disks for the other filesystems - in which case their benchmarks would

Apparently, the disk they used was slow like hell. Otherwise sequential
reads and writes wouldn't be limited to 23 MB/s with the kernel based
filesystems. As I stated above, current hard disks should be able to
handle 60 MB/s. Even more is possible if a RAID configuration is used.
So while the tests show how ntfs-3g compares to other filesystems on a
hard disk from the last century, they don't really matter on current
hardware.

The test is fine for users who just want to know what performance they
can expect e.g. with NTFS on an external USB disk.

Regards,
Tino