[mythtv-users] mythArchive | move mpg's to different location but renamed

James Cummings cummings.james at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 08:50:56 UTC 2007

Thanks to everyone who answered -- I experimented with mythrename (and was
frightened for a minute that the recordings would no longer appear in the
mythtv list of recordings.  But it was much more clever than I thought!
;-)    Since my desire is just occasionally to move specific shows/episodes
to long-term storage on a NAS drive, then I think this will work as it is.
(I'll just run mythrename occasionally then move files to new location then
delete them one by one in the mythtv interface.)

Is it possible to run a user job on a recording from the recording list?
I.e. select a recording, press right and have it in the list along with
'delete'.  (I'm not in front of my myth box!) If so then setting up a job to
do this would be a good idea, I suppose.

-James

On 10/17/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> On 10/17/2007 10:54 AM, Doug Young wrote:
> > And as for "sensible name" ... this sounds like a job for mythrename.pl.
>
> Specifically using "mythrename.pl --link" (with appropriate additional
> arguments) and using "cp -L" to copy the file to the new location.
>
> The hard part is deleting the file correctly to ensure all metadata is
> removed as well as the file itself.  Doing this from the shell with wget
> and MythWeb isn't too tough (especially since you can pull the required
> information to identify the video directly from the filename--assuming
> you didn't change it with mythrename.pl without using --link).
>
> Mike

James Cummings, Cummings dot James at GMail dot com