[mythtv-users] The Bigger... Disk contest, Fall 2007 edition

Doug Young goofdad at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 18:31:03 UTC 2007

On 10/17/07, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 01:46:43PM -0500, Sean Goodpasture wrote:
> >    Personally, I just rip then make em iso's because I want all the quality I
> >    can get.  Of course, I've got 5tb full and need more space...
>
> Anyone got more than 5TB of active, mounted, media storage space?

Unfortunately, I come in at just under 4, but I'll play anyway. Mine
follows (numbers are approximate...don't want to start a "how to
measure your diSk" war again).

2.2 TB array (JBOD) of 250 and 300 GB disks, running under LVM with xfs on top.
200 GB disk on SBE
750 GB Seagate FreeAgent, configured as USB
4x200 network mounted off my windows machines

Basically, the JBOD array is where I started, and at the time (2+
years ago) LVM looked like a good decision for how to spread the
recording/storage load across the disks.  Unfortunately, since xfs
cannot be shrunk, when one disk goes out I'm going to lose the whole
array (oops).  I bought the FreeAgent as an experiment to determine
how well it would work.  After upgrading me kernel to allow_restart of
a usb mounted scsi device, it works beautifully.  For the 4x200, I
simply claimed a partition on each of my kids' machines, limiting
windows and all their stuff to the remaining 50G (which honestly is
not unreasonable)

When my tax refund comes in, I'm probably going to buy another 2 maybe
3 FreeAgent 750's (depends on how full my disks are at that point),
backup and destroy my LVM, break the disks apart, and use the new
storage groups in Trunk to handle load distribution.  I probably won't
go with RAID, as for the video and music part I have the original
optical media in storage.  Yeah, in case of a disk failure, I'll have
to rip one disk's worth again, but I can live with that.  Then I'll be
over 5TB ;-)

--
Doug